February 23, 2012

School and Chores



Sometimes I love moving because it forces you to start fresh with new routines and such.

 I was so tired of constantly asking the kids to please do this chore or please help with that and all I would hear is moans or groans. I hate being the nagging mom! So I went to trusty pinterest.com and found this really great detailed chore chart another mom had made. It is so detailed, that it leaves no room for the kids to say I didn't know how to do it. She also used a points system to reward the kids. For example, each chore is a point. The parent has to sign off on the chore and then the child receives a point for that particular job. I made out a list of rewards based on so many points. So far, the points themselves have been motivation enough for the kids to help out. They like to compete with one another so just knowing they might get one more point than each other, get em going. I laminated the charts and posted them up on the refrigerator to always remind them to do it. Sometimes I find myself asking, did you do your jobs? Most of the time they say oh yeah I forgot. So far it has been a good change.

__________________________________________________

Another thing I wasn't going to post about but since this is basically my journal, here goes...

I think every homeschooling mom goes through one of those panicking moments where they just get plain old burnt out! This year has been a rough one because I was used to only schooling Brooklyn last year. Now to have both Brooklyn and Mason, its been tougher. We have our moments of melt down. Lately it seemed this past week was worse than usual. I ended up talking with my sister in-law who is doing a different program than me. Maybe it was the very layed back approach it had or maybe it was the idea of doing something completely new that had me thinking. I knew I needed a change. But nothing seemed to feel right. I prayed a whole lot. I read quite a bit and studied some but my mind was just so anxious and agitated. I cried so much! All I wanted was to do the best thing for my kids and prepare them the best I can for their missions in life!

I talked with a couple good friends who also homeschool. That helped some but I still didn't feel any peace. I finally called my amazing step mom for advice. She is a teacher with a online cyber school like what we do. Ma helped me take a step back and realize that I don't have to be a Nazi about everything. If mason isn't ready to write one day, just don't force him. If I don't agree with what they are teaching in the history book for Brooklyn, just skip it. It's as simple as that! I don't need to fight with the kids and have that struggle every day. So, I made my decision to continue with what I knew felt so good 2 years ago. Only this time I was going to make those little changes and not make it such a challenge.

Oh boy! Am I feeling so much better now. Our days have been running quite a bit smoother. We take more breaks when I feel the tension build. Most of all, I feel a renewed motivation to make it fun and help my kids feel the same love of learning that I had in school!

I feel so grateful for such amazing people in my life, that I can turn to. Amanda, Bonnie and Ma you were all there to help me and listen to me. I really appreciate your love and friendship. You keep me sane! Thank you!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Glad that you got something that will work for you. I am sure things will get better as you go. Glad you guys are all settled and moved. I am just now updating :)