December 16, 2008

What its all about

I have finally been able to go pick up our Christmas cards. Yay! I sent them out today so hopefully they will get there in time. This year has been one of the most exciting Christmases for our family. Brooklyn and Mason definitely are starting to understand what Christmas is all about. We've been trying to teach them that Christmas isn't just about presents and candy but about our Saviors birth and love and what that means for the world. Although I don't want to destroy Brooklyn's ideas about Santa, I don't want her to think its all about him either. I never realized what a dilemma that was until I've become a parent of older kids.

This year has been tough as far as material things go. We aren't going to be giving our kids as many gifts as we could in the past. To make up for that, I've been trying to do more Christmas projects like making Cinnamon ornament cookies for the Christmas tree. watching Christmas movies and reading from our 25 days of Christmas book. The kids don't always sit still and soak it all in but I'm sure some of it is getting through. I really think these are the things that will make Christmas special not all the gifts and stuff. I hope anyway.

7 comments:

Elaine said...

Your christmas traditions are definately what the family will remember. I can't really think of any gift I recieved that meant more than just happy memories with my family-especially the food!

Erika Reyna and Kids said...

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll take any advice anybody wants to give me. I'm nervous and hope Heavenly Father will help me. :-) Thanks again though. It will really help me. One more thing if you dont mind. What about the time zone changes? His schedule will be off. How do I deal with that?

Kerri said...

I think everyone is toning down their Christmas this year and that's a good thing (as long as you don't work for a retailer.) It sounds like you have started some great traditions in your family. . .keep up the good work! That's what the kids will remember and cherish forever.

Amanda said...

Amen! Next year I am going to do cranberries and popcorn it sounds like so much fun for the tree!

Candi said...

That is fun amanda. We used to do that in my house growing up. Its kind of pretty too.

Loveable Luceros said...

Jerimiah,
your family is soo cute. Your little girl I think looks just like you!!! Well just thought I would drop by and say I hope you all have a Merry Christmas!!!
Janae

Jen and Joe said...

caNDI i LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND i HOPE WHEN YOUR CUTE LITTLE KIDS MEET ME ONE DAY, THEY WILL NOT BE AFRAID...