June 9, 2008

The roller coaster ride that is my life!


Okay, so today Jer and I went for a drive with the kids. Our "drives" almost always end up with me asking Jer to stop at every house in Akron that has a for sale sign in front. Can we say house hungry? Anyway, we so happened to drive behind the Oasis Restaurant (The only sit down restaurant in town, soon to be the second). There was a house hidden behind Oasis so we stopped to take a look. Wouldn't ya know it but the front door was open and the screen door was unlocked. Naturally we rang the doorbell then let ourselves in to poke around. The outside of the house was hideous! I was blown away with the interior though. New carpets and flooring, new paint, new windows. It had a great floor plan. 4 bedrooms, separate family and living room, eat in kitchen that I like, and a open basement perfect for the kids playing room. The price is pretty good! Only $84,000. Jer and I got home and reality hits. We still have so much to pay off before we can even think about a house. Bills, student loans, Credit Cards, you name it. What a let down. All I can think is how do people do it?! We can barely survive in a crappy 2 bed rental. Unless I get a job there is no way we are buying a house within the next 5 years! Don't get me wrong I am fully aware that we chose our battles. We wanted to have kids rather than save for a house first. They are totally worth it for me to wait. Its just gets hard sometimes to think that Jer and I have been married for almost 6 years now and we have very little to show for it. So I was looking in the paper tonight, I saw an ad to be a Denver Post carrier in Otis. I'm thinking of picking up that job. I probably can take the kiddos along with me. What do you guys think? I've really got to help out. Maybe it'll get my mind off of wanting so much right now.

7 comments:

Surat Diaries said...

Well I've pretty much always worked since we've been married then continued when the kids came and continued when I went back to school too. So it's not out of the question, I've always just done what we had to do to survive. Luckily we don't have debt from school loans or credit cards though. We've always worked our tails off so we could steer clear of those traps. But where there is a will there is a way. Good Luck!

Amanda said...

whats the job? I think whatever you want to do just remember that brook will be starting preschool so you can you take her and pick her up after or before you work? You have to do what you have to do. Also that rural development home loan you should really look into only if you are are planning on staying around for 5 years thats the only catch to that loan but if you got a 84,000 house loan you might be looking at payments of 400 to 500 dollars for your house. Think about it.

Steve, Jillian, Addison, and Jace said...

Candi, I say you should definetly do it and then use all your money to pay off debt. That is what Steve and I started doing is just living off his paycheck and power paying all of our debt and I have to say I'm amazed at how quick it disappeared. We don't have a lot to show either and we don't have a ton of savings but soon our whole paycheck gets to stay with us instead of going to all these other lucky people. You could at least try it out and see what it is like! Good Luck

ALY said...

i think that you have far more to show for six years of marriage then you realize my friend...you have two beautiful children...you have grown so much in your relationship...you have many states visited :o)
i often think about how little i have to show for the past seven years of my life...but when i really look at all the things outside of "things," i realize God has blessed me with so much.
ummm...how far is akron from denver?

Mindi said...

Hmm, don't know what to tell ya. I worked through high school, college, beyond college and nowit's my turn to stay home, so I don't know!

Unknown said...

I know what you are feeling. I know what conventional wisdom says, "It ok to work outside the home" & that there is a lot of pressure from the world to do so. Sometime we can feel overwhelmed with debt and other financial responsibilities that it is VERY appealing to look for a part time job. Only you and Jer can decide what is best for your family, but I would strongly encourage you to remember what our church leaders and prophets have counseled and promised. Re-read the "Proclamation". Pray for understanding. Do you want to take a job because of 'wants' or 'needs'? Nothing we want is worth taking your time away from your children and your home. Even if they can go with you, they are taking the backseat to you attention for those few hours. What happens on days that they are sick? Or Jer needs you to do something? How much more pressure would that put on you? Plus it starts small. *The first job you can take them with you, but the next and better paying job...well you would only have to leave them with the neighbor for just a couple hours a day.* Your friend Aly is right. You have a lot to show from the last 6 years, and things that really count. Things that will be with you forever. Houses and "stuff" can be lost, stolen or destroyed. What you have is far more precious and only you and Jer and Heavenly Father know best how to care for that. As for owning your own home, well it's truly not the end all beat all. Having owned a home for most of my married life, we are seriously considering selling our home and just renting! You are much more "free" to do as you wish. Don't like your neighbors or ward? Move. Sick of the snow/sun/wind? Move. New job opportunity? Move. Need bigger or different floor plan? You get the idea. You will also pay a lot in taxes, insurance and maintenance if you own your own home.

So, think about it seriously. Go to the temple with your hubby and pray. You will find the right answer for your family. :)

degolyer family said...

Kris and I have been married for almost 7 years, and we are living in a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom house right now. This is just where life has taken us. Both of us work and always have and it has been fine. just remember you have a lot to show for your life. Jer has made it through school has a good job now, you have 2 beautiful children, great health and a wonderful life!! Good luck with your future decisions.