September 22, 2010

A new chapter







The decision to school our kids with an online public school was a process but we are finally settled and have (almost) all our stuff. First they sent us Brook's computer minus a USB cord. About a week later we got the rest of her books and shipments. Each box was so exciting. Brook was in awe of the books, lab sets, and all the fun stuff. I just love how well put together K12's curriculum is. Everything is so easy to follow, I'm sure Brook will be a pro in no time. Each subject takes 30min-1hr. Her lessons include: Math, History, Science, Language Arts, phonics, Art, PE, and Music.
I am so grateful for this experience. Its been stressful and overwhelming but even with the couple of days we've been doing it, I have felt such pride in Brooklyn. I have learned more about her that I didn't already know. My daughter is a hard worker. Sometimes she wants to give up but she sticks with it. Brooklyn is somewhat of a perfectionist. She hates to get anything wrong. She can be too hard on herself. I really feel that we will grow closer as mother and daughter through these days of ours together. I love to watch her little mind work.



8 comments:

Havi Andersen said...

Sounds like a good option for you guys! I'll be interested to hear more. Good luck!

jamie said...

Wow - good for you. I didn't realize you were considering this. I'm interested to hear more about how she likes it.

Amanda said...

That looks like so much fun. Good Job Brook and Candi. Maybe this will be an option for us!

Candi said...

so far so good you guys. I just love K12. they sent all of her materials for free and a coputer! Today Brook and I did a science lesson on matter and mass. She loved putting things on her scale and measuring by grams! I must admit I loved it too. It reminded me of how much I enjoyed school when I was a kid. I highly reccomend this program to anyone interrested. just call me and we can talk.

Mindi said...

So is this "home-schooling" instead of public school ? Why did you decide to do this?

Candi said...

Actually Mindi it is really an online public school. with the homeschool benefits. you can check it out at www.k12.com
Its a bunch of reasons but mainly, brook was learning things I didn't want to to know just yet, her teacher was a "winner" and I wanted to be more hands on with her learning, more one on one. Thats our reasons in a nutshell.

Anonymous said...

I REALLY want to do this! Emily has been really expressing an interest in wanting me to homeschool her, but unfortunately, her dad is soooo against it! I wish Adam was her dad! Then we'd be good to go in many aspects of Emily's life. She's been bringing up the idea more and more lately.... I told her she needs to express the interst to her dad and we'll go from there. It would really make rotating time with her so much easier too! Anyway, Way to go Candi! This is so wonderful! :-)

Candi said...

Thanks!
Oh and Erin, You should give the k12 peeps a call. They can answer your questions and maybe help your ex feel better about it too. We are on our second month of schooling Brooky this way and we still love it. Brook is learning so much and I feel like I am too. I love the one on one time too.