September 1, 2010

New beginnings


I just needed to add this post today. Ever since school started we, as a family have committed to reading our family scriptures together and having family prayer morning and night. Jer and I talked about setting a specific time in the evening to do so. We can push that time forward if it is more convenient. Like last night, we read scriptures before dinner so the kids could get ready for bed after dinner. It worked out wonderfully!
I have been feeling so overwhelmed with the spirit in our home since we have made this commitment. The kids tend to play even better together, I do not get discouraged and yell as often, we feel a closeness that I am so grateful for as well. I feel like this is a new beginning for our family to grow closer to our Heavenly Father. Brooklyn and Mason are learning as well and it makes me so proud of them. I hope we keep this going. I am sure as long as we remember how good it feels, we will.
I love this quote from Elder David A. Bednar:
Each Family prayer, each episode of family scripture study, and each family home evening is a brushstroke on the canvas of our souls. No one event may appear to be very impressive or memorable. But just as paint can compliment each other and produce an impressive masterpiece, so our consistency in doing seemingly small things, can lead to significant spiritual results. "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great" (D&C 64:33).

1 comment:

Amanda said...

We have really enjoyed doing it in the evening. Don't worry once you get into a habit we never forget or the kids remind us. I love that quote. Good luck :)