April 29, 2013

Mason's RTI

March 18, 2013

I had to go to the school today for Mason's RTI (Response to Intervention). Basically Mason is showing signs of struggle in school. Either through his behavior or his lack of progress in his state testing. Behaviorally I can totally understand that he may be a little too immature for 1st grade. All of his teachers think he is capable of doing the work, he just doesn't apply himself.

When I went into the school I met with 4 other teachers to discuss the best way to help little Mason. I am happy with the game plan and pleased that so many people care to sit down with me to talk about Mase. At the same time, it pains my heart to know that Mason is having trouble.

We will do all we can to help but if he doesn't show any progress by the end of the year we may have to look into him repeating 1st grade. In my mind that isn't a huge problem. Mason is the youngest in the class and if he had started kindergarten when he was supposed to, he would have waited a year anyway. I'm just not sure he is ready for public school yet. We may have to take him and homeschool one more year just to help him focus and get ready for 2nd grade. We will see.

 I just wish the state testing was different. Every child learns in a different way. I hate that they try to box our kiddos up and say you must be at this level on each of these things. Mason may be a slower reader but its not because he can't read faster, its because he needs to have time to think and process what he's read. Mason is hands on. Where is their tests for that?! Why not develop the tests to suit each child's learning style instead of forcing each child to fit their tests?!

I just keep chanting 4 more weeks.... 3 more weeks... till we are done for the summer.

No comments: