April 24, 2008

Georgy Porgy


Today Ma called me to tell me my Grandpa George has passed away. He was such a wonderful man. I met him for the first time when I was about 10 years old. He had moved into the house next to ours. George was so sweet. I remember that he would always buy me big containers of gummy bears for my birthday. He'd even remember to get mom's gummy bears sugar free because of her diabetes. I started to call him Grandpa George way before he met my grandma. Grandma Cox moved into our house after my Grandpa Cox died when I was 11. She was so sad. After a while she met the sweet man from next door. They went on walks together and started to date. One time I even walked into George's house because grandma got a phone call and I found them making out! Without their teeth in!!! AHHH! They were married that April and the following Christmas eve, Grandpa was baptized into the Church. He just adored Grandma. They were so happy. About 4 years ago, Grandpa George started to get sick. We found out he had Dementia and Alzheimer's disease. On top of the hear failure and diabetes he already had. Towards the end it became harder and harder for Grandma to take care of George. Lucky for small blessings.... Hospice took Grandpa for one week a month so Grandma could get some rest. They were supposed to have George next week but took him early. He passed away while in their care. Grandma was alone with my aunt Cathy's kids that day so it really was a blessing.
I will miss Grandpa so much but I know he is healthy and not in any pain anymore.

4 comments:

Surat Diaries said...

The make-out story is a classic. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. We'll be thinking about you. I know how hard these things are.

Steve, Jillian, Addison, and Jace said...

Candi I'm sorry about your Grandpa I know he meant a lot to you. Just think of how better off he is right now. I just love this gospel, he can be with your mom now.

Faith said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Lauren said...

I loved your Grandpa. He was the candy man at Church for so long and I always thought he was so cute. I have never heard that story before, what a cool story! I'm sorry for your family's loss.