October 9, 2012

General Conference Time!






I love, love, love, this time of the year! It was General Conference weekend. That is where we spend Saturday and Sunday listening to the leaders of our church speak to us. They pass along revelations from the Lord, they give us counsel to live by and I find, generally pump us up to keep doing better!

This was an extra special meeting because the prophet announced the new ages that young men and young women may attend missions for the church! Young men may now leave when they are 18 years old and young women may leave at age 19! I don't think I will ever forget the surprised and excited whispers that came over the conference building at that announcement!

This conference was really great. A few speaker's topics, spoke directly to me. There were things that I really needed to hear right now.

Some of these subjects were...
  • Our homes should be a place of refuge in these times. They should be places that defend truth. As parents we should not be afraid to say no and to bare our testimony to our children. The moral issues of the day need to be addressed in the family- Quentin L. Cook

  • Ann M. Dibb of the General YW presidency said that we need to be proud of who we are. We need to wear our spiritual t-shirts that say I'm a Mormon! I know it! I live it! I love it! I need to be as active in the gospel as I am doing my hobbies, computer activities, reading my books ect..

  • Life is really short. We need to enjoy the journey! Don't wear our business as a badge of honor. Looks to Jesus as an example. He spent his days giving others the precious gift of his time! How much real, meaningful time do we give our loved ones? Wishing we were more faithful is good but being more faithful and living our covenants is better! Anything of value is seen with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.-Dieter F. Uchtdorf

  • L. Tom Perry talked about the family and how we need to organize our family based on rules and responsibilities. The duty of the parents is to teach our children the principles of Jesus Christ. We partner with God to raise his children.

  • Robert C. Gay told a story from his youth about tricking the ticket woman and paying a younger child price for a movie so he could get more candy. His father responded to his recount, would you sell your soul for a nickel? What do we sell our souls for? He said it isn't enough to just give up our sins, we need to be active and anxiously engaged in doing good. I loved this... Satan doesn't need us to Sin he only needs ABLE men to be neutrals and DO NOTHING. When the spirit prompts, do we respond right away?
  • Linda K. Burton of the General R.S. said we need to first observe then serve! Do we do it for Christ or do we do it for ourselves?
I know there were so many more that I could go on and on about but these were some of the ones that touched my heart and made me realize that I need to do better. Jer shared with me what he learned from the Priesthood session as well and we both kind of had the same thoughts. We need to take action and start doing more within our own home.

I am so grateful for a living Prophet and Apostles who receive revelation and guidance for us. I am grateful for the gift of the holy ghost which guides me personally to improve myself every day. I do love being a member of  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!


1 comment:

Havi Andersen said...

Love seeing what you're up to. Thanks for the great conf. synopsis!