September 17, 2009

My Grandpa Bailey

Today I found out that my Grandpa Bailey has passed away. This came as a huge shock because I didn't know that he had been ill. I have spent this whole day pondering on all of my memories with Grandma and Grandpa Bailey. It made me very sad to realize I don't have very many to chose from. Growing up in Pennsylvania I didn't get the chance to see grandma and grandpa more than once or twice a year if I was lucky. Some of my favorite memories are summer fun days tubing down the canal, eating tart green apples off of trees and picking raspberries and huckleberries. I will miss fireworks off of Grandpa's porch. Grandpa and older cousins would swing us on their homemade swings that used to be a horse lead. I remember being very young and driving with grandpa to all the canals he used to take care of. Grandpa was one of the hardest working men I've every known. I loved is little walk. I know he broke his ankles when he was young and it was probably very painful. To me, as a child, I found it endearing. Grandpa was so good at telling his stories. Grandpa was very proud of his orchard. When I grew up and moved to Idaho I was able to visit every once in a while. I remember grandpa got so mad about the Magpie birds. Grandpa was lost without grandma. They love each other so much. I could always find grandpa working away in either his big workshop or his office. Family history was a passion for grandpa. I will miss not being able to grow closer to you grandpa. I know you are with mom now and are probably swapping stories and laughing. I know you have lost that adorable limp of yours and you can walk freely now. I love you!

5 comments:

Erika Reyna and Kids said...

aww.I'm sorry for your loss Candi. But we are so grateful for the knowledge that we have to know where he is now.

<3

KevandMin said...

I remember how kind he and the family were when I went out to visit with you guys. I'm trully sorry for your loss. But look forward to that blessed day when you can see him again. I love you girl. MinMin

Amanda said...

so sorry candi. I met him a few times and he was just the nicest and wanted to share everything with anyone. Hope your week goes better and just think now you have three people really looking out for you now, your grandpa-mom-andgrandpa george! What a wonderful moment I am sure that was!

baileymom said...

Candi, We are so sorry the doc didn't want you to travel! We miss you. Grandma is doing well--a bit in shock still. We got here this morning. Aunt Carol has arrived. Ward members have already begun bringing in tons of food--hard to find a place for it all. We love you.

jamie said...

Hi Candi - we're were thinking about you all weekend. We're home now. I'll bring some pictures from the weekend for you to see when we get together. Thanks for the memories you posted. I'm going to miss his great stories.