May 13, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

Sunday May 12, 2013
I feel so blessed to have so many wonderful women in my life. I was sitting in church today and couldn't help reflecting on how much I have learned from each of the mothers and grandmothers that I love so much.

1st my mom- There is so much! But what comes to mind above the rest is how she was such a bubbly, happy and loving person  no matter how badly she felt or how many trials she had to face. There were many times that I totally forgot how sick she was because mom was a master actor. She always smiled and joked.  She was the perfect example of Enduring to the End and Enduring with a Smile.

2nd my step mom Cathy- She has been such a shining example of selflessness to me. She married into this family with a teenage daughter who just lost her mom and was just lost period. I had just shut down. I didn't care about school or friends or anything. She came into my life, picked me up. She set me on a path  and helped me make a goal. Then she dropped everything to homeschool me, and push me to get things done. I don't know where I'd be without you Ma.

3rd Grandma Philip- After Grandpa Cox died, Grandma moved in. I remember best how every time mom went into the hospital (which could be anywhere from 3-6 times a year), Grandma was the first and last one to visit. Even when dad and I wouldn't want to go. I know it sounds awful but when you visit hospitals so much as a kid, you grow sick at the smells and sounds. Grandma Philip taught me the value of compassion. She would bring books and puzzles and sometimes just be there to talk.

4th Grandma Bailey- My mom's mom would give you the shirt off of her back! One of my fondest memories  of her is one Christmas I had told grandma I was sad that I couldn't find my pictures of my mom and dad and I  from when I was growing up. (Dad and Ma had moved and somehow the box had been misplaced). That Christmas grandma sent be a photo album. In it was filled with pictures of mom as a baby, as a little girl, as a woman and even some of me with her as a baby! It was so touching and is something I will treasure forever.

5th my mother in law- I've heard stories of how hard it is to get along with in- laws. That is not my case. I feel so blessed to have a mother-in-law who treats me just like her 5th daughter. Cindy will call me to talk and really cares about my opinion. It is so nice to visit. She always goes out of her way to make sure we are comfortable. I sure love my husband's family!

I could name off so many more women mothers that have each taught me a valuable lesson in my life. Sisters in law, aunts, best friends, visiting teachers. I am a better woman and mother because of all of your examples.

I was spoiled this year for mother's day. Jer and the kids got up early to make me breakfast. Then I got cards, homemade gifts the kids made at school and lots of hugs and kisses. Jer also gave me a visa gift card so I can buy my flowers and plants when the time comes. After the yard is done. So exciting!






2 comments:

Amanda said...

Such a sweet family. You do have and had a lot of amazing women in your life. So Thankful for you Candi. Happy Mother's Day!

Candi said...

Aw Amanda! I didn't see this somehow. I sure do love you. You are most definitely right up there with one of the moms I totally look up to and admire. you are such a patient mom. you do whatever you need to to teach your kids and you stand up for what you believe in no matter what the world might say. you are my hero.